- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti, broken into thirds
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (14 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 to 2 cups (4 to 8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat egg, milk and salt. Drain spaghetti; add to egg mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a large skillet, cook beef, sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and tomato sauce. Spoon over the spaghetti mixture.
Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Freeze option: Cool spaghetti completely before tossing with egg mixture. Transfer to baking dish; cover and refrigerate. Meanwhile, prepare meat sauce and cool completely before spooning over spaghetti mixture. Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Mozzarella Baked Spaghetti
"I don't understand those who rate a recipe and then proceed to write their recipe that is completely different from the one written. I get minor tweaks, which most cooks do anyway, but this whole paragraph of changes doesn't belong here.Otherwise, I enjoyed this dish AS WRITTEN."
"I tried this recipe and I'd used 1 lb. of ground turkey instead of beef and three sweet Italian turkey sausages which I'd broken up, along with 1 green pepper & the onion. I'd added 2 Tbsp. oil to the meat/sausage for more even cooking/browning. I had added 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. ground pepper to egg and milk mixture.For the sauce, I used a 15-oz. can of pizza sauce a 15-oz. can of tomato sauce. For cheese, I used about 1 to 1-1/2 cups of Italian 5-blend shredded cheese. I'd baked the entire dish for 30 minutes at 350o F. I think the recipe was very tasty! delowenstein"
"This recipe could be good if it was tweaked a bit. The sausage needs to be cooked separately to ensure doneness. It was good but I like the person's idea of adding ground sausage instead to give it that even cooking."
"My family loved this recipe!! Especially my 6 year old !"
"Very tasty and easy to make! Just missing a little special something that would make it amazing."