Sun-dried tomatoes and sausage add lots of texture and flavor to this gooey casserole. We've even enjoyed it reheated after a night game at our local college. It's always a winner in my book.—Nancy Murphy, Mount Dora, Florida
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup julienned oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes with herbs, drained
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes; drain. Mix hash browns and cheddar cheese. Layer an 11x7-in. baking dish with half of each of the following: hash brown mixture, sausage, spinach and tomatoes. Repeat layers; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper; pour evenly over top.
- Bake, covered, 35 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly and cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Make-Ahead: Refrigerate unbaked casserole, covered, several hours or overnight. To use, preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake as directed. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Mozzarella & Spinach Breakfast Casserole in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2016, p32
Reviews for Mozzarella & Spinach Breakfast Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review