Movie Theater Pretzel Rods Recipe
My kids and all of their friends clamor for the large, chewy pretzel rods. They are fantastic fresh from the oven.—Melissa Shaw, Burnettsville, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 70 min. + rising Bake: 10 min. YIELD:32 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Coarse salt, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, butter, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups water and baking soda to a boil. Punch dough down; divide into 32 portions. Roll each into a 5-in. log. Add to boiling water, a few at a time, for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- 4. Place on greased baking sheets. Lightly beat egg yolk and cold water; brush over pretzels. Sprinkle with coarse salt if desired. Bake 425° for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 32 pretzel rods.
1 pretzel (calculated without coarse salt) equals 68 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 1,060 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC