Mousse-Filled Witches' Hats
These cute chocolate-covered treats will magically disappear at your house. Our Test Kitchen staff had a "spooktacular" time coming up with the rich snacks, featuring sugar cones filled with a creamy homemade mousse. Prepare them for your little goblins this Halloween.
12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 package (4-3/4 ounces) ice cream sugar cones
- Halloween sprinkles
- 12 thin chocolate wafers (2-1/4-inch diameter)
- For mousse, in a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup cream to a boil;
- remove from the heat. Stir in chocolate chips until smooth. Transfer
- to a bowl; cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, beat the remaining cream until stiff peaks form;
- fold into the chocolate mixture. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt semisweet chocolate and shortening;
- stir until smooth. Brush melted chocolate over ice cream cones and
- roll tips in sprinkles. Refrigerate until set. Just before serving,
- spoon mousse into cones. Top each with a chocolate wafer. Invert
- onto a serving platter. Yield: 1 dozen.