A nice surprise in this moussaka recipe is the touch of cinnamon, just enough to give it a fresh taste. This dish would serve nicely as a vegetarian entree.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. In a small skillet, saute onion and garlic in 1 teaspoon oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, lemon juice, basil, salt, cinnamon and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, brush eggplant slices with remaining oil. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Spread 2 tablespoons sauce mixture into a greased 3-cup baking dish. Top with half of the eggplant slices. Spread with 1/2 cup sauce mixture. Repeat layers.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
1 piece equals 252 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 356 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Reviews for Moussaka
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC