- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a small skillet, saute onion and garlic in 1 teaspoon oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, lemon juice, basil, salt, cinnamon and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush eggplant slices with remaining oil. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Spread 2 tablespoons sauce mixture into a greased 3-cup baking dish. Top with half of the eggplant slices. Spread with 1/2 cup sauce mixture. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Moussaka
Sort By :
If you want moussaka use this recipe:
It is closer to the real thing than this is.
This is by no way moussaka. This is an eggplant sandwich. Don't use this recipe if you want authentic moussaka since the real thing has a bechamel sauce and potatoes.