Mountain Man Soup
This stew-like soup from Cordella Campbell of Rapid City, South Dakota is sure to satisfy your hearty hunter's appetite. It's chock-full of tender buffalo meat, tomatoes, and chunks of carrot and potato, lightly seasoned with bay leaf and clove.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 pound buffalo stew meat
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 whole clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil; drain. Add the celery, onion and
- green pepper; saute for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the
- broth, tomatoes, potato, carrot, garlic salt, clove and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until
- meat is tender. Discard clove and bay leaf. Stir in parsley. Yield:
- 6 servings.