Mountain Man Soup Recipe
This stew-like soup from Cordella Campbell of Rapid City, South Dakota is sure to satisfy your hearty hunter's appetite. It's chock-full of tender buffalo meat, tomatoes, and chunks of carrot and potato, lightly seasoned with bay leaf and clove.
- 1 pound buffalo stew meat
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 whole clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil; drain. Add the celery, onion and green pepper; saute for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, potato, carrot, garlic salt, clove and bay leaf.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Discard clove and bay leaf. Stir in parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 269 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 1096mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein.
Reviews for Mountain Man Soup
Reviewed May. 25, 2013
"Very good flavor!"
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC