Mounds Balls Recipe
I make these bite-sized treats as holiday gifts for friends—and I get lots of thank-you notes in return. The mailman doesn't mind delivering them, though. He gets a box of candy, too! We have three generations of family working together on our dairy farm in the "thumb" of Michigan. Everyone agrees these milky morsels promote our product deliciously.
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 pound flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CHOCOLATE COATING:
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 -inch x 1-inch x 1/2-inch piece paraffin wax
- Round wooden toothpicks
- Styrofoam sheets
- 1. In bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add coconut, milk, walnuts and vanilla; stir until blended. Chill until slightly firm; roll into walnut-sized balls. Insert a toothpick in each ball. Place balls on baking sheets; freeze. In double boiler over simmering water, melt chocolate chips, chocolate squares and paraffin wax. Keep warm over hot water. Using picks as handles, dip frozen balls into chocolate mixture; stick picks upright into was paper-covered Styrofoam sheet. Chill until firm. Remove picks and package candy in individual paper liners. (May also be frozen.) Yield: about 7 dozen candies.
1 serving (1 each) equals 111 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 18 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC