Mounds Balls Recipe
I make these bite-sized treats as holiday gifts for friends—and I get lots of thank-you notes in return. The mailman doesn't mind delivering them, though. He gets a box of candy, too! We have three generations of family working together on our dairy farm in the "thumb" of Michigan. Everyone agrees these milky morsels promote our product deliciously.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + chilling YIELD:84 servings
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 pound flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CHOCOLATE COATING:
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 -inch x 1-inch x 1/2-inch piece paraffin wax
- Round wooden toothpicks
- Styrofoam sheets
- 1. In bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add coconut, milk, walnuts and vanilla; stir until blended. Chill until slightly firm; roll into walnut-sized balls. Insert a toothpick in each ball. Place balls on baking sheets; freeze. In double boiler over simmering water, melt chocolate chips, chocolate squares and paraffin wax. Keep warm over hot water. Using picks as handles, dip frozen balls into chocolate mixture; stick picks upright into was paper-covered Styrofoam sheet. Chill until firm. Remove picks and package candy in individual paper liners. (May also be frozen.) Yield: about 7 dozen candies.
1 serving (1 each) equals 111 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 18 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC