- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups ground walnuts
- 11 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter, shortening and granulated sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and vanilla. Beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in ground walnuts.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter. Add confectioners' sugar; mix well. Beat in vanilla until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with walnuts. Refrigerate. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Mother's Walnut Cake
"hello, I would love to make this cake, but I do not understand what "shortening" is. as I'm from Slovakia, cannot find it out. Can you please, explain? Thank you so much, Michaela."
"I just baked this cake today....delicious....probably will have to bake another one BEFORE the 25th. I used a sheet cake pan and guessed baking time. If anyone could tell me the exact time....I would appreciate it. I baked it for 50 minutes...little long? Anyway, this recipes is a keeper. We loved it!"
"This is asked for EVERY birthday by my daughters. It is delicious, although I double the frosting. What can I say... it's delicious!"
"This is a really good moist cake, I did cut the recipe in half, since it's just two of us. No problems at all. Glad to add this to my keepers."