Mother's Rolls Recipe
"THESE DINNER ROLLS were among the many different baked goods that Mother prepared for Thanksgiving. In addition, she would bake many pans full of pecan rolls and cinnamon rolls. It was really difficult to choose which to eat, so one of each seemed to be the only sensible solution to that dilemma!"
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, shortening, egg, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed until mixture has a spongy texture. Let stand for 10 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into three portions. Let rest for 5 minutes. Divide each portion into 36 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball; place three balls in each greased muffin cup.
- 4. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 each: 121 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 138mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Mother's Rolls
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC