Mother's Rolls Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, shortening, egg, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed until mixture has a spongy texture. Let stand for 10 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into three portions. Let rest for 5 minutes. Divide each portion into 36 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball; place three balls in each greased muffin cup.
- 4. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 3 dozen.
If Cooking for Two: Freeze rolls in a plastic storage bag. Then defrost as many as needed at a moment's notice.
1 each: 121 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 138mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.