Mother's Pasties Recipe
PASTIES were a must years ago when men worked the mines in northern Michigan. The housewives made them in the morning and wrapped them tightly in newspaper so they would stay warm until lunch break. Everyone used to say my mom made the best pasties in the world. This is her recipe. -Vivienne Abraham, Detroit, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. YIELD:5 servings
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, carrots, onion, salt and pepper. Crumble beef and pork over potato mixture and mix well. Add butter and toss to coat; set aside.
- 2. For pastry, in a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms.
- 3. Divide dough into five portions; roll each into a 10-in. circle. Place 1 cup of filling in the center of each circle. Fold pastry over filling and seal edges tightly with a fork; cut slits in the top of each.
- 4. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 5 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 958 calories, 49 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 1,026 mg sodium, 101 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 25 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC