Mother's Manicotti Recipe
"MANICOTTI was served as a first course for Easter dinner, and it's so good that we had to remember to save our appetites for the rest of the meal. Instead of using pasta, Mother made crepes, which we helped her fill with smooth ricotta cheese. It was a special holiday treat."
- 1 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
- Additional shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the water, eggs and oil. Combine flour and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet over medium heat; pour 2 tablespoons batter into the center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between
- 3. For filling, combine the cheeses, parsley and egg. Spread half of spaghetti sauce in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon 3 tablespoons of cheese mixture down the center of each crepe; roll up. Place seam side down over spaghetti sauce; pour remaining sauce over crepes. Sprinkle with Parmesan or Romano cheese.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 293 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 687mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Reviews for Mother's Manicotti
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC