Mother's Manicotti Recipe
"MANICOTTI was served as a first course for Easter dinner, and it's so good that we had to remember to save our appetites for the rest of the meal. Instead of using pasta, Mother made crepes, which we helped her fill with smooth ricotta cheese. It was a special holiday treat."
- 1 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Dash salt
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
- Additional shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the water, eggs and oil. Combine flour and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet over medium heat; pour 2 tablespoons batter into the center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between
- For filling, combine the cheeses, parsley and egg. Spread half of spaghetti sauce in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon 3 tablespoons of cheese mixture down the center of each crepe; roll up. Place seam side down over spaghetti sauce; pour remaining sauce over crepes. Sprinkle with Parmesan or Romano cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Mother's Manicotti in Reminisce March/April 1995, p47
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Mother's Manicotti(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Easter Dinner Recipes >
- Easter Main Dish Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Italian Casseroles >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Manicotti >