Mother's Ham Casserole Recipe
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a saucepan, bring the potatoes, carrot, celery and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet, saute the ham, green pepper and onion in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Add to the potato mixture. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour over the ham mixture. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Mother's Ham Casserole
Sort By :
"Perfect for a cold autumn supper! I tweaked the ingredients a bit using a bit more celery, carrots and onions. I seasoned based on tasting as the saltiness or ham varied."
"Loved this dish!! Great flavor. Anyone that didn't like this dish, must have accidently left something out, or changed the recipe. This recipe is a keeper!"
"I liked it. I added some left over peas that I had. I actually liked it better the next day."
"Nothing special, and I wish it had had a casserole dish size, because I grabbed the wrong casserole dish trying to make it a 9x13, too big a pan. Just really nothing special, and I don't even know if I want a lunch this week. Done with this recipe now, and I don't have to make it again if I don't want to. I don't plan to, too much work for not enough pay off."
"This was great. Fixed as recipe, except micro'd the veggies instead of boiling. Next time, I'll try cutting down on the butter. Hope it won't change the taste too much."