- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a saucepan, bring the potatoes, carrot, celery and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet, saute the ham, green pepper and onion in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Add to the potato mixture. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour over the ham mixture. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Mother's Ham Casserole
"Best casserole I've ever tasted. It's not fancy, but it's delicious and comforting. I used orange bell pepper (because that's what I had on hand), and omitted the salt like another reviewer suggested. (It was plenty salty.) Instead of boiling the veggies, I roasted them in the oven. I used Mexican blend cheese (again, because that's what I had)/ All I can say is, "Wow!" I will definitely make this again."
"Very good. Next time I make it I plan to top it with stove top stuffing. A good winters evening supper"
"This is super yummy!! I didn't have celery and had a red bell pepper instead of green. Other than that, followed the recipe and this came out fantastic!! The pepper gives it a different taste than usual ham leftover recipes. This is a keeper!!!"
"This was really good. Reminded me of a hearty potato soup. While I was making I thought it was a lot of trouble and a lot of dishes but totally worth it. Amazing! (Oh I skipped the green peppers and added broccoli)"
"This is a great meal to eat on a cold day with left over ham! I cut back on the butter as well and added an extra carrot. I used the bread crumbs but I think that French's Onions, crushed potatoe chips or crushed butter crackers would also be good. I will definitely make this again!"
"Perfect for a cold autumn supper! I tweaked the ingredients a bit using a bit more celery, carrots and onions. I seasoned based on tasting as the saltiness or ham varied."
"Loved this dish!! Great flavor. Anyone that didn't like this dish, must have accidently left something out, or changed the recipe. This recipe is a keeper!"
"I liked it. I added some left over peas that I had. I actually liked it better the next day."
"Nothing special, and I wish it had had a casserole dish size, because I grabbed the wrong casserole dish trying to make it a 9x13, too big a pan. Just really nothing special, and I don't even know if I want a lunch this week. Done with this recipe now, and I don't have to make it again if I don't want to. I don't plan to, too much work for not enough pay off."