Mother's Ham Casserole Recipe
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a saucepan, bring the potatoes, carrot, celery and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet, saute the ham, green pepper and onion in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Add to the potato mixture. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour over the ham mixture. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Mother's Ham Casserole(25)
Sort By :
Nothing special, and I wish it had had a casserole dish size, because I grabbed the wrong casserole dish trying to make it a 9x13, too big a pan. Just really nothing special, and I don't even know if I want a lunch this week. Done with this recipe now, and I don't have to make it again if I don't want to. I don't plan to, too much work for not enough pay off.
This was great. Fixed as recipe, except micro'd the veggies instead of boiling. Next time, I'll try cutting down on the butter. Hope it won't change the taste too much.
Question - can I freeze this? Thanks
Husband that does not like scalloped potatoes and ham, LOVED this dish.
I did use sharp cheddar cheese, onion powder and left out the celery. It was terrific with fresh biscuits.
I cut this recipe in half for 2 of us. I did not have potatoes so I used 1 1/2 cup frozen hash browns thawed. I used 1 grated carrot, 1 celery rib, and 1 1/4 C. ham and sauteed those in the butter. I then added 1/2 half cup thawed frozen corn & 1/2 cup thawed frozen peas & sauteed a couple of minutes. Did everything else exactly with half the amounts; thinned the cheese w/a little milk. Used Ritz crackers on top as one reviewer suggested. Served with a salad & Bread. Easy complete meal and we both loved it. Had left overs for the next night too. Definitely a keeper for my left over ham from now on.
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Ham >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ham Recipes >
- Pork Casserole >