Mother's Ham Casserole Recipe
One of my mother's favorite dishes, this recipe always brings back fond memories of her when I prepare it. It's a terrific use of leftover ham from a holiday dinner. Our five grandchildren are my favorite interest outside the kitchen!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1. In a saucepan, bring the potatoes, carrot, celery and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute the ham, green pepper and onion in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Add to the potato mixture. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- 3. In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and stir until melted.
- 4. Pour over the ham mixture. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 cup equals 374 calories, 25 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 1,208 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC