Mother's Dinner Rolls Recipe
These tender rolls will melt in your mouth. Mom would set out her big square-footed honey bowl with them - some sweet butter and a drizzle of honey on these rolls is a special treat. -Willa Govoro, St. Clair, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. YIELD:30 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 7-1/2 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the boiling water, shortening, sugar and salt. Allow to stand 3 to 4 minutes or until shortening is melted and sugar is dissolved. Add the yeast mixture and eggs and mix well. Add 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead).
- 2. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Turn dough onto a floured surface. Form a 2-1/2-in. ball. Roll into a 5-in. rope; shape into a knot. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 3. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 197 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 84 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC