Mother's Dinner Rolls Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 7-1/2 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the boiling water, shortening, sugar and salt. Allow to stand 3 to 4 minutes or until shortening is melted and sugar is dissolved. Add the yeast mixture and eggs and mix well. Add 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead).
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Turn dough onto a floured surface. Form a 2-1/2-in. ball. Roll into a 5-in. rope; shape into a knot. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Mother's Dinner Rolls(7)
Sort By :
This recipe is awesome! Very little mess to clean up and turns out excellent.
My recipe made 4 dozen decent sized rolls.
Definitely adding this to my recipe box!
I used all new ingredients, the dough looked perfect I was so happy. Waited up to 3 hrs. & the dough never doubled. I even set them near the oven @ warm setting. I've never seen my mother put the yeast directly into the dry ingriedients w/o first allowing the yeast to rise separately in warm water in a jar and allowing it to rise apart from the dry ingredients. But these recipes call to dissolve it w warm water along w the other dry ingredients. Why else would it have not risen? I tried this twice what a waste of money.
I made this recipe for Christmas Eve Dinner not only easy but absolutely delicious.Compliments galore.Definitely a keeper.
These turned out great although my rolls are HUGE! It made 30 rolls -I am taking them over to a new mommy along with dinner I am preparing
My daugher and I tried this for Thanksgiving... We both loved the recipe. Very easy to mnake, no kneading, and they taste great. We are both planning on using this recipe again....