Mother's Dinner Rolls Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 7-1/2 to 8 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the boiling water, shortening, sugar and salt. Allow to stand 3 to 4 minutes or until shortening is melted and sugar is dissolved. Add the yeast mixture and eggs and mix well. Add 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead).
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Turn dough onto a floured surface. Form a 2-1/2-in. ball. Roll into a 5-in. rope; shape into a knot. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Mother's Dinner Rolls(8)
Sort By :
I've been making this recipe for years. They are wonderful and my children request them at all our family meals.
This recipe is awesome! Very little mess to clean up and turns out excellent.
My recipe made 4 dozen decent sized rolls.
Definitely adding this to my recipe box!
I used all new ingredients, the dough looked perfect I was so happy. Waited up to 3 hrs. & the dough never doubled. I even set them near the oven @ warm setting. I've never seen my mother put the yeast directly into the dry ingriedients w/o first allowing the yeast to rise separately in warm water in a jar and allowing it to rise apart from the dry ingredients. But these recipes call to dissolve it w warm water along w the other dry ingredients. Why else would it have not risen? I tried this twice what a waste of money.
I made this recipe for Christmas Eve Dinner not only easy but absolutely delicious.Compliments galore.Definitely a keeper.
These turned out great although my rolls are HUGE! It made 30 rolls -I am taking them over to a new mommy along with dinner I am preparing