Mother's Barbecued Pork Sandwiches Recipe
"THESE delicious sandwiches taste even better if the pork is prepared a day ahead for the flavors to blend. We welcomed Mother's pork sandwiches for any occasion, but especially for our birthday celebration. We never wanted Mother to change that menu!"
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (4 to 5 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 16 hamburger buns, split
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the meat, onions, chili powder, salt if desired, water, ketchup and vinegar. Cover and simmer for 4 hours or until the meat is tender.
- 2. Skim off the excess fat. With a slotted spoon, remove meat, reserving cooking liquid. Shred the meat with two forks. Return to the cooking liquid and heat through. Serve on buns. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving equals 497 calories, 19 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 162 mg cholesterol, 625 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 50 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC