Mother's Barbecued Pork Sandwiches Recipe
"THESE delicious sandwiches taste even better if the pork is prepared a day ahead for the flavors to blend. We welcomed Mother's pork sandwiches for any occasion, but especially for our birthday celebration. We never wanted Mother to change that menu!"
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (4 to 5 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 16 hamburger buns, split
- In a Dutch oven, combine the meat, onions, chili powder, salt if desired, water, ketchup and vinegar. Cover and simmer for 4 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Skim off the excess fat. With a slotted spoon, remove meat, reserving cooking liquid. Shred the meat with two forks. Return to the cooking liquid and heat through. Serve on buns. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Pork Sandwiches in Reminisce July/August 1994, p51
Reviews for Mother's Barbecued Pork Sandwiches(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 11, 2008
I made this in my slow cooker...then diced the meat with a cheese slicer by Pampered Chef! EXCELLENT!!