- 1 package (10 ounces) pretzel rods
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1 tablespoon evaporated milk
- 1-1/4 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butterscotch chips
- 2/3 cup milk chocolate toffee bits
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- With a sharp knife, cut pretzel rods in half; set aside. In a large saucepan over low heat, melt caramels with milk. In a large shallow bowl, combine the chips, toffee bits and walnuts.
- Pour caramel mixture into a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Dip the cut end of each pretzel piece two-thirds of the way into caramel mixture (reheat in microwave if mixture becomes too thick for dipping). Allow excess caramel to drip off, then roll pretzels in the chip mixture. Place on waxed paper until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Mother Lode Pretzels
Sort By :
This is a holiday staple in my home ever since I tried the recipe a few years back. I like to use mini-choc chips, cinnamon chips, and toffee bits and I usually omit the nuts and literally everyone raves about them, they are one of the staples of my holiday treat bags
I started making this 2 years ago; for the holidays. Now when I dont bring them,the family is left empty. Its just so much to make and takes time due to caramel thickening up. But when there's a family of 74 its a lot to make. I admit there excellent.
Made for after the church Christmas program. Was super easy and fast. Got lots of compliments and it tasted great!
Great sweet and salty snack. Made these for my sister's birthday- Halloween and everybody loved them!!!
These were so good. Love the salty/sweet of the pretzel and carmel. The carmel is alot more forgiving that working with just plain chocoalte. And it adds great chewiness. The topping possibilities are endless. I added Christmas spinkles and a drizzle of white chocolate. I made these for second grade Christmas take-home gifts. But the kids ate them right up, before even taking them home. Not sure if I would go through the hassle of making them for kids again. I don't think they appreciated the time and effort that went into them!! I found little pretzel bags at JoAnn's in the cake section. They turned out really cute. I think I will make them for my bunco girls.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Candy Recipes >
- Chocolate Candy Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Christmas Candy >
- Christmas Candy >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Diabetic Desserts >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Gift Recipes >
- Halloween Candy >
- Halloween Desserts >
- Halloween Party Recipes >
- Halloween Recipes >
- Holiday Candy >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >
- Low Sodium Recipes >