Even though we're not Italian, this rich, cheesy pasta dish is a "family tradition" for holidays and special occasions. I was delighted the first time I tried this mostaccioli recipe—it has all the flavor of lasagna without the work of layering the ingredients. Try it…I'm sure it'll become one of your family's favorites, too! —Nancy Mundhenke, Kinsley, Kansas
10-12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 pound uncooked mostaccioli
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 1 jar (28 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces each) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Crumble sausage
- into a Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and pasta. In a large bowl, combine
- the egg, ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon half of the pasta mixture into a greased shallow 3-qt. baking
- dish; layer with cheese mixture and remaining pasta mixture.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until a meat thermometer
- reads 160°. Uncover; top with Romano cheese. Bake 5 minutes
- longer or until heated through. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 386 calories, 18 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 747 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.