- 1 pound uncooked mostaccioli
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 1 jar (28 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces each) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and pasta. In a large bowl, combine the egg, ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon half of the pasta mixture into a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish; layer with cheese mixture and remaining pasta mixture.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Uncover; top with Romano cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Mostaccioli
"We really loved this once we put our own spin on it. I added chopped up spinach, sweet peppers and onions. I also added thyme, oregano, garlic and salt just because we feel store bought sauce is kind of plain. I also used hamburger instead of sausage because I'm not a fan of it. Wish I had bought more sauce for it though. I still give it 4 stars even though we added quite a bit because I still liked it plain while my husband likes with more flavors."
"we loved this! will make again"
"My family really liked this and I liked how easy it came together. I used a good Italian turkey sausage (nobody knew but me and nobody noticed - love that when it happens). As others mentioned, I did increase the sauce a bit (another 1/2 jar and served the other 1/2 at the table). I also had extra mozzarella that I sprinkled on top while it baked. We will definitely make this again when the mood hits for pasta (which is often). It made alot! More than I expected, so for 4 of us we'll be having a leftover night this week unless I freeze it."
"This recipe tastes so much like lasagna but so much less work. I used only 1 lb.ground turkey with my regular seasonings ......sauce was just enough...used 3/4 lb. pasta or else this would have been dry....topped with mozzarella cheese. Delicious....will use this recipe regularly."
"This is absolutely delicious if you love Italian food you will love this dish.The only thing different I did, was to add 1 (8 oz.) can mushrooms, drained and changed from ricotta cheese to cottage cheese.Nancy Foust FE"