This homey lasagna-style casserole from Dorothy Bateman of Carver, Massachusetts will appeal to the whole family. There's plenty of spaghetti sauce to keep the layers of tender pasta and spinach-cheese mixture moist. "It's a hearty main dish that can be made early in the day, refrigerated and baked at dinnertime," Dorothy notes.
- 8 ounces uncooked mostaccioli
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 1% cottage cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the egg, egg white, cottage cheese, spinach, 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt and pepper; set aside. Drain pasta; stir in 2 cups spaghetti sauce.
- Layer half of the pasta mixture in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with spinach mixture, remaining pasta mixture and remaining spaghetti sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Mostaccioli Bake in Light & Tasty October/November 2003, p57
Reviews for Mostaccioli Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review