- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion until tender. Add seasonings; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in squash, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, squash and potatoes are almost tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Add zucchini and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 5-8 minutes. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Moroccan Vegetarian Stew
"Used diced canned tomatoes instead of plum tomatoes, but otherwise made as directed and it was very bland. I saved it during the last few minutes by mixing in some vegetable bullion and it really helped elevate the dish! Next time might mix in a tablespoon of tomato paste too. I served this with couscous."
"Amazing. I left out some ingredients that I didn't have (butternut squash, zucchini, and coriander) and it still smelled and tasted amazing. Perfect for a rainy fall day."
"The only thing my son commented on it was that there was too much water and not enough stew. It was amazing to eat!"
"It's become one of my cold weather lunch staples; it's delicious, healthy, and filling. Ignore the negative reviews. I use half the cinnamon and vegetable broth instead of water and salt."
"This did not look at all like the picture. The spices made it dark and very unappetizing. Threw it all out after the first taste."
"Substituted veggie broth and served over couscous. It was great, inexpensive, and easy to make"
"Was alright, not worth the time to make again."
"Very tasty!! Surprisingly good. I would just cut the cumin, coriander, cinnamon down next time. Loved the textures together!"
"the first day I made the stew it was good but the next day after letting the flavors mix it was so delicious. I really like this fragrant and tasty stew."
"Haven't tried it yet. Just copying the recipe because it sounds very good."