Moroccan Vegetarian Stew Recipe
“This fragrant, spicy stew can also be served over couscous or with warm pita bread. Try topping it with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream to cool it down.” —Sonya Labbe, Santa Monica, California
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add spices and salt; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the water, squash, potatoes, carrots and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes and squash are almost tender.
- 3. Add zucchini and garbanzo beans; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
1-1/2 cups equals 172 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 174 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC