- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 small onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 4 medium carrots, cut diagonally into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 small eggplant, cubed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- Hot cooked couscous or flatbreads, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; saute onions with paprika, 1 tablespoon garam masala, 1/2 teaspoon salt and cayenne until tender, 4-5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in chickpeas and broth; transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Mix pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon garam masala and 3/4 teaspoon salt; rub over roast. Place in slow cooker. Add carrots and eggplant. Cook, covered, until meat and vegetables are tender, 7-9 hours.
Remove roast from slow cooker; break into pieces. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon; skim fat from cooking juices. Stir in honey. Return beef and vegetables to slow cooker and heat through. Sprinkle with mint. If desired, serve with couscous.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled beef and vegetable mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring gently. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Moroccan Pot Roast in Simple & Delicious December/January 2017
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Moroccan Pot Roast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review