Moroccan Chicken Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 pounds), skin removed
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Hot cooked couscous
- 1. In a 6-qt. slow cooker, place the squash, beans, onion, broth, raisins and garlic. Combine the coriander, cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper; rub over chicken. Place in slow cooker.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender, adding tomatoes and olives during the last 20 minutes of cooking.
- 3. Remove chicken and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken, vegetables and couscous. Yield: 8 servings.
1 chicken thigh with 3/4 cup vegetable mixture and 2 tablespoons sauce (calculated without couscous): 330 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 599mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 28g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 4 lean meat, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Moroccan Chicken
"I like all of the ingredients in this recipe, so I tried it. I was very disappointed. The flavors were very unusual, and neither my husband nor I liked it at all."
"Besides peeling the squash, I loved every piece of this recipe. healthy, flavorful, different... This is going on our favorites list!"
"Love this dish. I add grated lemon and lemon juice from one lemon near the end. It just adds another level of flavor."