“My husband and I love Mediterranean and Middle Eastern food. This recipe has lots of flavor and is one of our favorites.” Susan Mills - Three Rivers, California
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds), skin removed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 4 pitted dates, chopped
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground cumin
- 1/3 cup uncooked couscous
- 1-1/2 teaspoons slivered almonds, toasted
- In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Set aside 1 teaspoon spice mixture; add flour to remaining mixture and sprinkle over chicken.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown chicken in oil on both sides. Remove and keep warm. Add shallots to the pan; cook and stir over medium heat for 3 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup broth and dates. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; return chicken to the pan.
- Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken and keep warm. Combine flour with reserved spice mixture and remaining broth until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cilantro.
- For couscous, in a small saucepan, bring the water, broth, salt and cumin to a boil. Stir in couscous. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5-10 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork, then stir in almonds. Serve with chicken and sauce. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Moroccan Chicken Thighs in Healthy Cooking February/March 2009, p57
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Moroccan Chicken Thighs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review