Moroccan Braised Beef Recipe
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups golden raisins
- Hot cooked couscous, optional
- 1. Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag; add beef and toss to coat. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the broth, onions, tomatoes, wine and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until the meat is tender.
During the last 30 minutes of cooking, stir in the raisins. Serve with couscous if desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled beef mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Serve as directed. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups beef mixture (calculated without couscous) equals 533 calories, 22 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 620 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 34 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.