- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup pitted dried plums, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 medium Fuji or Gala apples, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- Hot cooked rice or couscous, optional
- Mix salt, cinnamon, pepper and allspice; sprinkle over beef and toss to coat. In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Brown beef in batches, adding additional oil as necessary. Remove beef with a slotted spoon.
- Add onion to same pan; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato sauce, broth, dried plums and honey. Return beef to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1-1/2 hours.
- Add apples; cook, covered, 30-45 minutes longer or until beef and apples are tender. Skim fat. If desired, serve stew with rice. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Moroccan Apple Beef Stew in Simple & Delicious August/September 2014
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Moroccan Apple Beef Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 12, 2014
This was quite tasty. However, I picked up dried figs instead of plum. They worked fine. The spices smelled so good when the beef was cooking.
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Greek Dinner Recipes >
- Greek Recipes >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Rice Recipes >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Recipes >
- Simple Stew Recipes >
- Stew Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Apple Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Beef Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Dinner Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Greek Recipes >