- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup pitted dried plums, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 medium Fuji or Gala apples, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- Hot cooked rice or couscous, optional
- Mix salt, cinnamon, pepper and allspice; sprinkle over beef and toss to coat. In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Brown beef in batches, adding additional oil as necessary. Remove beef with a slotted spoon.
- Add onion to same pan; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato sauce, broth, dried plums and honey. Return beef to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1-1/2 hours.
- Add apples; cook, covered, 30-45 minutes longer or until beef and apples are tender. Skim fat. If desired, serve stew with rice. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Moroccan Apple Beef Stew
Sort By :
This was really good. It smelled amazing while it was cooking. Both my kids (even the picky one) asked for seconds! The prunes (dried plums) completely disintegrated into the sauce, so there were no issues with "What is this black thing?"
This was quite tasty. However, I picked up dried figs instead of plum. They worked fine. The spices smelled so good when the beef was cooking.
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Greek Dinner Recipes >
- Greek Recipes >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Rice Recipes >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Recipes >
- Simple Stew Recipes >
- Stew Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Apple Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Beef Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Dinner Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Greek Recipes >