- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine milk, butter, syrup, sour cream, egg and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. For topping, combine flour, sugar, nuts and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
Bake 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled muffins in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, thaw at room temperature or, if desired, microwave each muffin on high for 20-30 seconds or until heated through. Yield: 16 muffins.
Reviews for Morning Maple Muffins
"Dry and lacking flavor, could barely taste any maple; would not make again."
"These are terrific and a great base to create so many different variations! I decided to add 1/4 tsp of cinnamon, 1 tbsp of chia seeds, 3/4 cups of oats and 3/4 cups pumpkin. I also omitted the topping. Let me just say, they came out amazing! My boys loved them! Next time, I'll probably add a bit more maple syrup and chia seeds. So glad I found this recipe!"
"A nice and easy muffin recipes that taste kind of like a doughnut. I know my grandchildren will love these, but there wasn't a big "wow" factor for me."
"I was very excited about these but when I started to mix the dry and wet together it looked very firm... (I am starting to think I may have forgot to add the milk?) I also had to use yogurt as I had no sour cream.. they turned out ok but not big at all and kind of uncooked in the middle? They are still good and my kids are not picky at all so will still eat them! I will try them again with sour cream and make sure I add the milk...)"