Morning Crispies Recipe
These large cinnamon-sugar pastries make quite an impression o the table. Every bite melts in your mouth.—Emily Goad, Franklin, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. YIELD:18 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, 1/2 cup sugar, oil, salt, eggs, extract and 2 cups flour; beat well. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch the dough down. Turn onto a floured surface, roll out into a 1/4-in.-thick rectangle. Spread with 2 tablespoons butter and sprinkle with 1/3 cup of the remaining sugar. Fold dough in half lengthwise; roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread with 2 tablespoons butter and sprinkle with 1/3 cup sugar.
- 4. Fold in half widthwise; roll to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread with remaining butter and sprinkle with 1/3 cup sugar. Fold in half lengthwise; roll out to an 18-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Combine the cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle half over the dough to within 1/4 in. of all edges.
- 5. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 1/2-in. slices and place on greased baking sheets (four to six slices per sheet). Cover with waxed paper and flatten with palm of hand. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- 6. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 333 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 217 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC