Moonbeam Munchies Recipe
This simple from-scratch sugar cookie dough can be mixed in a flash and is easy to roll and cut. (Need to move at "light speed"? Use purchased refrigerator cookie dough.)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 drops yellow food coloring
- 1. In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add egg and extract. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour milk. Mix well. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a round cookie cutter. If desired, cut some circles in half and form into half moon shapes. Place on greased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 4. Combine water and food coloring; brush over cooled cookies. Let dry completely. Store in airtight containers. Yield: 6 dozen whole moons.
1 serving (2 each) equals 166 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 73 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC