Moo Shu Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small sweet red pepper, sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, water, barbecue sauce, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and salt until blended; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onion and red pepper in oil until crisp-tender; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, cook beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 3. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add coleslaw mix; stir to coat. Spoon meat mixture into the center of each tortilla; top with onion mixture. Roll up tightly. Yield: 4 servings.
2 each: 454 calories, 17g fat (4g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 1387mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
Reviews for Moo Shu Sloppy Joes
"This was nice, quick meal. It obviously wasn't like take-out moo shu beef, but it was nice in a pinch."
"These were very easy and delicious. My family liked them a lot. Easy to throw together for a quick meal. Although they are very good as are, for the ones I ate, I used large lettuce leaves in place of the tortillas (asian lettuce wrap style) and they were still very yummy!!"
"These are absolutely wonderful, even though I left out the soy sauce and extra salt, a bit much with the hoisin AND barbecue sauces and not missed. Tried it the second time with extra lean ground pork, because that is more traditional. Probably would work with ground turkey as well. Doubled the cornstarch, as it was really sloppy the first time around. Served extra hoisin sauce for dipping, like they do in the Chinese restaurants. Kind of hard to eat out of hand rolled the way the picture indicates. Before rolling, fold in two sides slightly to keep the filling from falling out, then roll it up."
"Fantastic! Only thing I did differently was to add a sprinkle of fine crispy rice noodles! Can't wait to prepare again!"
"Yes, I agree, this is a keeper! It is so simple to prepare for such a tasty dish. I can't wait to munch on these again."
"This was simply fabulous...we loved it. It is a very easy recipe and the taste is divine! We will be making this again~"
"May I just say "YUM!" My husband and I both loved these. I cooked the onions and peppers in with the beef to save a little time."