Monterey Spaghetti Recipe
- 4 ounces spaghetti, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, divided
- 1. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat egg. Add sour cream, Parmesan cheese and garlic powder. Drain spaghetti; add to egg mixture with Monterey Jack cheese, spinach and half of the onions. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated though. Top with remaining onions; return to the oven for 5 minutes or until onions are golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 311 calories, 20g fat (11g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 333mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein
Reviews for Monterey Spaghetti
"Use a bag of fresh baby spinach leaves in place of the frozen chopped spinach. Add to pasta just before it's done. Otherwise, excellent dish!"
"we'll be at our kids this weekend for dinner and they said "bring a side". I'm bringin "THIS". this is gonna be a huge hit with the kids as there's nothin on the ingredient list we don't love-YEAH! thanks for sharing"
"Both my Nephew and I love preparing this recipe just as it is and have been making it since it first appeared in Taste of Home, just can't imagine changing a thing. A wonderful side dish that has not only become a family favorite but something we are proud to serve our guest or take to Church Dinners."
"I have had this recipe for years and has always been one of my favorites. This size casserole just isn't enough to feed 5. I guess if I want some next time, I'm going to have to double the recipe."
"I've made this many times over the past 15 years or so. Just about everyone loves this dish. I add a little milk to keep it moist during baking. To make it more filling, stir in some diced cooked chicken."
"This recipe was just okay. I expected it to have more flavor (bling). It seemed somewhat dry. My husband did have seconds. I made the Baked Spaghetti Recipe last week which I felt was excellent and will make again soon. Not so with this recipe."
"I've been making this recipe since it first appeared in 1994! Loved it then, love it now."
"Delicious! Since a family member doesn't like onions, only the flavor they give to recipes, I switched to minced onions and used crushed potato chips to top it off in order to eliminate the french-fried onion rings altogether.Also, I bought a rotiserie chicken, skinned & shredded it & added it to the ingredients. I also microwaved it to heat it up. I felt baking it would really dry it out."
"I couldn't find just Monterey Jack cheese so I made it with shredded colby and Monterey jack cheese and loved it! My son at first didn't want to try it because of the spinach. I told him it was called "Popeye Surprise" because it was Popeye the Sailorman's favorite dish on account of the spinach. He ate every bite and loved it! Thanks for the recipe. We will definitely have this again."