Monterey Jack Cheese Soup Recipe
Meet the Cook: Main-meal soups are something I'm always on the lookout for. Since I love cheese and our kids like anything with Mexican flavor, I knew this one would be popular at our house. I've served it with tacos, nachos or a loaf of bread. Our three children are grown, and we've just become proud grandparents. -Susan Salenski, Copemish, Michigan
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1. In a 3-qt. saucepan, combine the broth, tomato, onion, chilies and garlic; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 2. In another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually stir in 1-1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Slowly stir into vegetable mixture. Reduce heat; add cheese and remaining milk. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted. Serve immediately. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup: 286 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 503mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Reviews for Monterey Jack Cheese Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC