Monterey Corn Bake Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Add the mushrooms, red pepper, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. In a greased 2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the corn, mushroom mixture, cheese and brown sugar; repeat layers.
- 3. Melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs and parsley. Sprinkle over casserole.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 each: 359 calories, 22g fat (15g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 624mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Reviews for Monterey Corn Bake
"We added a rotisserie chicken breast, cubed, to the layers. This made four 2 cup main dish servings. If we served it to guests, we would definitely double it."
"Although I enjoyed the recipe, my guests that I served it to didn't say anything about it. I would make it again, but probably not for a party."
"Loved the mixture of tastes and texture. To the individual who was confused about the brown sugar - recipe says to layer half of the ingredients, meaning you put 1 tsp. of brown sugar on each of the two layers."
"I'm confused about what to do with the brown sugar. The recipe only calls for 2 teaspoons, so it doesn't make sense to me that it would be layered with the cheese. Any corrections?"