Monterey Corn Bake Recipe
I am happy to share this 50-year-old recipe with Reminisce readers. It came from my mother-in-law, who taught me how to cook. It is one of my family's favorite dishes, yielding enough for a group or cutting it in half to serve a few.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Add the mushrooms, red pepper, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. In a greased 2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the corn, mushroom mixture, cheese and brown sugar; repeat layers.
- 3. Melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs and parsley. Sprinkle over casserole.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 359 calories, 22 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 624 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC