Monterey Barbecued Chicken
Linda Coleman of Cedar Rapids, Iowa turns regular chicken into a savory dish with barbecue sauce, crisp bacon and melty cheese. It gets even better with a sprinkling of fresh tomatoes and green onions.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 bacon strips
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut bacon strips in half widthwise. In a large skillet, cook bacon
- over medium heat until cooked but not crisp. Remove to paper towels
- to drain.
- Drain drippings from skillet; cook chicken in butter over medium heat
- for 5-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- Top each chicken breast with the barbecue sauce, green onions, tomato
- and two reserved bacon pieces; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook
- for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 318 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 107 mg cholesterol, 680 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 32 g protein.