Monster Cutout Cookies Recipe
These spooky masterpieces were created from chewy, spicy gingerbread and creamy royal icing. Your Halloween crowd will scream for more! —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:36 servings
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, ginger and cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ROYAL ICING:
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 6 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Paste food coloring of your choice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. gingerbread boy-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on wire racks.
- 3. For icing, in a large bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water, meringue powder and cream of tartar; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat on high for 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Tint with food coloring. (Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.)
- 4. Frost and decorate cookies as desired. For mummy bandages, use basket weave pastry tip #46. For small detailed decorations, use round pastry tip #1 or #2. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 cookie equals 205 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 86 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC