- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups (24 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups chopped nuts
- In a large bowl, cream shortening, butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla and lemon juice. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chips and nuts. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 3 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 14-16 minutes or until lightly browned and center is set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews for Monster Chip Cookies
"Quick tip: make this recipe!!! Promise, you will love.Full review: I know this comment thread is old but I just had to finally write a review. I have been making these cookies for the past 7 years for Thanksgiving and everyone always RAVES about them. I follow the recipe exactly and they come out amazing every year. The only change is sometimes I don't have time to refrigerate so they may only get an hour in the fridge some years. So many people ask for this recipe I hope this page never changes from the Taste of Home website. This year I have to double the recipe which is crazy because the original makes so many but I have too many people requesting these and even willing to pay for the ingredients just so I make them!!"
"Made these today and they are so good. I chose to make them about tablespoon size and baked them at 350° for about 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges. Nice and chewy and will make again"
"I also put in 36oz of chocolate chips and omit the nuts. Delicious!"
"awesome cookie recipe. raves above toll-house recipe."
"Delicious--the cinnamon is like a subtle secret ingredient."
"Everyone who has these cookies loves them!"
"really great recipe. I made them smaller so that I had a BIG batch to share. Also used crisp cereal instead of nuts 1st time I made them to share, as some cannot tolerate nuts."
"These turned out even bigger than I thought they would. My kids and husband loved them and told me I should make them again."
"Too cake like for my liking. Not enough oatmeal, either. It is just a matter of taste."