Our Test Kitchen used Karen Ann Bland's delicious recipe for caramel apples and added fun ingredients to make these special Halloween treats. —Karen Ann Bland, Gove, Kansas
- 8 to 10 medium apples
- 8 to 10 wooden sticks
- 32 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 squares (1 ounce each) white candy coating, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup orange and brown sprinkles
- Wash and thoroughly dry apples; insert a wooden stick into each. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; chill. Place cookie crumbs in a shallow dish; set aside.
- In a heavy 3-qt. saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, milk and corn syrup; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 248° (firm-ball stage) on a candy thermometer, about 30-40 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Dip each apple into hot caramel mixture to completely coat, then dip the bottom in cookie crumbs, pressing lightly to adhere. Return to baking sheet to cool.
- In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Transfer to a small plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Drizzle coating over apples. Decorate with sprinkles. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Monster Caramel Apples in Backyard Living September/October 2006, p29
Reviews for Monster Caramel Apples
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review