Monster Caramel Apples
Our Test Kitchen used Karen Ann Bland's delicious recipe for caramel apples and added fun ingredients to make these special Halloween treats. —Karen Ann Bland, Gove, Kansas
8-10 ServingsPrep: 40 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 8 to 10 medium apples
- 8 to 10 wooden sticks
- 32 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 squares (1 ounce each) white candy coating, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup orange and brown sprinkles
- Wash and thoroughly dry apples; insert a wooden stick into each.
- Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; chill. Place cookie
- crumbs in a shallow dish; set aside.
- In a heavy 3-qt. saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, milk and corn
- syrup; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until
- mixture reaches 248° (firm-ball stage) on a candy thermometer,
- about 30-40 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Dip each apple into hot caramel mixture to completely coat, then dip
- the bottom in cookie crumbs, pressing lightly to adhere. Return to
- baking sheet to cool.
- In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Transfer to a