Mongolian Beef Recipe
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 5 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and broth until smooth. Stir in the soy sauce, hoisin sauce and sesame oil; set aside. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry beef in 1-1/2 teaspoons hot olive oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same skillet, stir-fry the onions in remaining olive oil for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add beef and heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
1/4 cup beef mixture with 1/2 cup rice equals 372 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 540 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 lean meat,
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.