Momma’s Turkey Stew with Dumplings Recipe
- 3 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1. In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients; stir in broth. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- 2. Remove bay leaves. In a small bowl, mix water and cornstarch until smooth; stir into turkey mixture. Add corn and peas. Cover and cook on high until mixture reaches a simmer.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix baking mix and milk just until moistened. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls on top of simmering liquid. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving: 287 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 1410mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein.
Reviews for Momma’s Turkey Stew with Dumplings
"Made this yesterday exactly as directed. Hubby loved it and said it's a keeper."
"We really liked this- it was easy and very tasty!"
"With the addition of a few more herbs and increasing the poultry seasoning amount, this recipe is the one I use with both turkey and chicken for the basic stew. I like to make slick/flat dumplings though. Those fluffy dumplings tend to melt too readily."
"Simple and easy preparation. Instead of Turkey I used chicken leg quarters since I haven't done a Turkey yet. But, it will be a good recipe for later when I have the Turkey leftovers. As well, I don't have Bisquick on hand so I made easy scratch dumplings with Flour, Salt, Parsley, Butter and Milk."
"I make this dish all the time as it is so tasty. It is a staple in my house during the winter months. I don't make the biscuits though as I don't want the extra calories."
"Followed directions, very disappointing, will not make again."
"This was delicious, easy, and made the house smell wonderful while it cooked. Kids gave it 2 thumbs up!"
"I did not have turkey so I substituted chicken instead. My husband and I both loved it! It was hearty and full of flavor. I'm putting this on our list of favorites."