Mom's Tomato Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- 8 cups water
- 1 celery rib, halved
- 1 medium onion, halved
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 can (15 ounces) mixed vegetables, drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (15 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1. In an 8-qt. soup kettle, place chicken, water, celery and onion. Cover and bring to a boil; skim fat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until chicken falls off the bones.
- 2. Strain broth and skim fat; return broth to kettle. Add the next eight ingredients. Debone chicken and cut into chunks; return to kettle. Bring to a boil.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, cook beef until no longer pink; drain and add to soup. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Stir in corn; cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Yield: 18 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 178 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 0 starch, 1 meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Mom's Tomato Vegetable Soup
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.