Mom's Tomato Vegetable Soup Recipe
I developed this vegetable-based soup from a recipe my mom made when I was a child. Its robust down-home taste brings back wonderful memories of growing up on the farm.
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- 8 cups water
- 1 celery rib, halved
- 1 medium onion, halved
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 can (15 ounces) mixed vegetables, drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (15 ounces) cream-style corn
- In an 8-qt. soup kettle, place chicken, water, celery and onion. Cover and bring to a boil; skim fat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until chicken falls off the bones.
- Strain broth and skim fat; return broth to kettle. Add the next eight ingredients. Debone chicken and cut into chunks; return to kettle. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, cook beef until no longer pink; drain and add to soup. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Stir in corn; cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Yield: 18 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Mom's Tomato Vegetable Soup in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p19
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Mom's Tomato Vegetable Soup(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Soup >
- Black Eyed Pea Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Cajun Recipes >
- Cajun Soup Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >