Mom's Tamale Pie Recipe
I don't believe my mom ever used a recipe for her tamale pie, but I came up with this version that tastes very much like the one she used to make. It's been popular at our church gatherings and faculty luncheons...and my kids love it! -Waldine Guillott, DeQuincy, Louisiana
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 cups cooked grits (prepared with butter and salt)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add corn, tomatoes, tomato paste, chili seasoning, sugar, garlic powder, basil and oregano. Cook and stir until heated through; keep warm.
- 2. Spread half of the grits in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon chili powder. Top with beef mixture and cheese. Pipe remaining grits around edge of dish; sprinkle with remaining chili powder.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 296 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 725mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Reviews for Mom's Tamale Pie
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC