Mom's Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 1-1/2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
- Whipped cream
- Mint leaves, optional
- In a large bowl, beat eggs on medium speed for 3 minutes. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; beat into the egg mixture. Heat milk and butter just until butter begins to melt. Beat into batter with vanilla (batter will be thin).
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Just before serving, cut cake into serving-size pieces; cut each slice in half horizontally. Combine strawberries and remaining sugar. Spoon strawberries between cake layers and over the top of each serving. Top with whipped cream; garnish with mint leaves if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Mom's Strawberry Shortcake
Sort By :
This is a great recipe for strawberry shortcake. I add frozen strawberries in syrup along with the fresh berries - delicious
This cake was light and fluffy, a nice change from the biscuit version. This will be my new go-to recipe. I sprinkled a tiny bit of cinnamon into the batter, and my family liked the cake so much they said they would even eat it plain.
This recipe is a winner! My family all raved about it and went for seconds.
I added cinnamon to the batter. Awesome....
This is excellent. My husband loves it.
reminds me of my grandmother's lost recipe. exactly what i was looking for.